People are comparing utility computing (such as provided by clouds) to electricity for instance.
I was wondering if the level of trust we put on multi-tenant clouds is the same as MPLS VPNs. Let me explain:
1. In MPLS VPNs we have to trust in:
- The ISP
- The MPLS protocol and its correct implementation
- That no one can physically access to the networks
If this is too much to handle, we can encrypt the data.
2. On mutli-tenant clouds we have to trust in:
- The cloud provider
- The isolation between costumers data and virtual machines
- That no one can physically access the virtual machine
And encryption is still an option.
However, unlike MPLS, for cloud isolation there is no specification done by a standard body like IETF and clouds are more complex (they include communication, computing and storage).
What do you think? Comments are welcome